BSc (Chemistry) PhD (Applied Physics) University of Leeds
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) University of Bristol
Dip Ed Man Bristol Polytechnic
Associate Membership of the British Dyslexia Association (AMDBA)
2008 The Marion Welchman International Award for Services to Dyslexia
2010 The Lady Radnor (Dyslexia Action) Award for lifetime services to dyslexia.
2012. IDA Orton Oak’
14 years in mainstream schools teaching science
24 years as Head of three schools for dyslexic pupils
Head of Shapwick School, a secondary school for dyslexic boys
Head of Chatauqua Academy, Baltimore, USA, a co-ed high school for dyslexic pupils
I was founder and Principal of Mark College, Somerset. I retired from the College in Summer 2005.
During my 19 years of setting up and running Mark College it was awarded Beacon School Status by the DfES,
the Award for Excellence by the Independent Schools' Association,
a Highly Effective School Certificate by the DfES,
a National Training Award and a Sportsmark (with Distinction)
out of 14 members of staff, six had books published on aspects of dyslexia.
Societies and Committees (past and present)
- Chair of the 3rd International Conference of the British Dyslexia Association
- Chair (and co-founder) of CReSTeD, the Council for the Registration of Schools Teaching Dyslexic pupils
- DfES Advisory Group on Partnerships between Independent and State Schools
- Trustee of the Hornsby International Dyslexia Centre
- Co-Chair Dyslexia Action's Education Advisory Group
- Chair of BDA Dyscalculia and Maths LD sub-committee
- Member of the ESRC Peer Review College
- Honorary Advisory Member of the Register of Educational Therapists (Singapore)
- International Dyslexia Association’s ‘Orton Oaks’
- Steve Chinn is a visiting professor at the University of Derby
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Lectures and Conferences
I have lectured and provided INSETs and CPD in some 30 countries worldwide and at many major conferences. I set up the first Post Graduate course for maths and dyslexia which was accredited by the BDA for the AMBDA (Numeracy). The course was validated by MMU (4 Masters modules at M level) and was delivered for 4 years under Mark College's Beacon School funding.
I will be speaking at The Sunday Times Festival of Education in June 2015
As well as writing maths books, worksheets and tests (see 'Publications'), I have contributed chapters to many books, including , 'Dyslexia and Mathematics', ‘Special Educational Needs’, 'Dyslexia and Stress', 'The Companion to Dyslexia' and 'Dyslexia in Context'. I have also published many papers, and articles. The first edition of ‘The Trouble with Maths’ won a TES/nasen award in 2004